Career Pathways in dentistry
Structured Career Pathways for the whole dental team are at the heart of our vision for the future of primary care dentistry and underpin our Certified Membership scheme.
Our approach is:
- Patient- and profession-centred: recognising the mutual interest in a trusting and supportive relationship
- Structured and evidence-based: drawing on the experience of other professions
- Consultative: involving practitioners who appreciate the different facets of practice
- Authoritative: engaging with the agencies and institutions whose recognition will enhance credibility of the professional standing we represent
- Accessible: meaningful and relevant to the dental team and the range of roles that individuals perform
- Embracing diversity within our professional constituencies
The Professional Framework
The Professional Framework is the intellectual foundation of our Career Pathways in Dentistry programme.
It describes the knowledge, skills and other attributes expected of primary care dental professionals at each of five career stages, and in relation to each of five domains:
|Clinical & Technical
|The capability to diagnose, to advise and to treat
|The conduct and behaviour to engage patient trust and confidence
|Awareness of personal impact, abilities and limitations
|Commitment and capability to improve the service to patients
|The ability to resolve solutions independently and through others
The Professional Framework is available to download free of charge, however you will need to log in or register an account. Please explore it, test it out and consider how you might use it to support your development and that of colleagues, and send us your feedback here
We are grateful to Colgate for supporting the development of our Career Pathways programme
Dental Nursing & Orthodontic Therapy Group
Dental Hygiene & Dental Therapy Group
Dental Technology & Clinical Dental Technology Group
Dental Practitioners Group
College membership provides clear evidence of career standing for every member of the dental team, and our new Certified Membership scheme underpins our recognition of progression.
Offered in parallel with our existing membership route, Certified Membership is a further mark of your commitment and achievement in dentistry. With the ongoing support of a Facilitator, the new scheme provides a structured pathway for your continued professional development, enabling you to move forward and enhance your career with confidence.
We are convening Faculties of the College for the various dental team roles, each of which will have a membership structure that reflects that same progression from “safe practitioner” to “accomplished practitioner” – from Associate Member to Fellow. Membership of a Faculty will go hand-in-hand with College membership and Certified Membership, for no additional membership contribution.