Career pathways in dentistry
Structured Career Pathways for dentists and the whole dental team are at the heart of our vision for the future of Primary Care dentistry.
We are grateful for the support of Colgate in enabling the development of our Career Pathways programme.
Our approach is:
- Patient- and profession-centred: recognising the mutual interest in a trusting and supportive relationship
- Structured and evidence-based: drawing on the experience of other professions;
- Consultative: involving practitioners who appreciate the different facets of practice;
- Authoritative: engaging with the agencies and institutions whose recognition will enhance credibility of the professional standing we represent;
- Accessible: meaningful and relevant to the dental team and the range of roles that individuals perform;
- Embracing diversity within our professional constituencies.
- Terminology has been updated slightly since first proposal of the scheme
Dental Nursing & Orthodontic Therapy Group
Dental Hygiene & Dental Therapy Group
Dental Technology & Clinical Dental Technology Group
Dental Practitioners Group
The Professional Framework
The Professional Framework describes the knowledge, skills and other attributes that primary care dentists and other dental professionals may aspire to at different stages of their career.
A Professional Statement describes the typical level of a practitioner’s performance in each of those attributes, at the relevant career stage.
Our initial Framework identifies five “domains” to describe knowledge, skills and other attributes:
|Clinical||The capability to diagnose, to advise and to treat|
|Professionalism||The conduct and behaviour to engage patient trust and confidence|
|Reflection||Awareness of personal impact, abilities and limitations|
|Development||Commitment and capability to improve the service to patients|
|Agency||The ability to resolve solutions independently and through others|
Each career stage will be accompanied by a description of the capability (identified in the Professional Framework) that is expected of the practitioner at that level.
College membership will provide clear evidence of career standing for every member of the dental team, and we are developing a Certified Membership scheme to underpin our recognition of progression.
We are planning to convene Faculties of the College for the various dental team roles, each of which will have a membership structure that reflects that same progression from “safe beginner” to “accomplished practitioner” – from Associate Member to Fellow. Membership of a Faculty will go hand-in-hand with College membership, for no additional membership contribution.
Watch this space for news of the development of our Faculties.
We are producing a series of webinars to support our Career Pathways programme, in partnership with ProDental CPD, which are free to view live for all members of the dental professions. Visit our events page for a list of upcoming live webinars and access recent webinar recordings.
College of General Dentistry (CGDent), Kemp House, 152-160 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX
Company Registration No. 2586636 | Registered Charity No. 1002769