An introduction to research for primary dental care clinicians
An introduction to research for primary dental care clinicians is a series of nine papers, first published in 2010, which introduce readers to the basic principles of research methodology, discuss the relevance of research to primary dental care, and provide an overview of the different stages in a research project.
The guidance was updated and expanded in May 2022 with the publication of An Introduction to Clinical Research for Health and Social Care Professionals, edited by Ario Santini and Kenneth A Eaton. This is available in print or as an e-book from Author House through the above link, and an abridged online version will be made available by the College in due course.
CGDent members can view full articles via the links below by first visiting the PDJ Member Access page and clicking ‘Access the PDJ Archive’.
- An Assessment of the Perceived Benefits and Challenges of Participating in a Practice-Based Research Network by FA Curro, VP Thompson, A Grill, RG Craig, MB Botello-Harbaum, AG Matthews, D Collie (October 2012)
- Book Review: Statistical and Methodological Aspects of Oral Health Research by Kenneth Eaton (July 2010)
- Informing Research in Primary Dental Care: Setting Priorities by Nikolaus OA Palmer, Paul Batchelor (July 2006)
- An Investigation into Merseyside General Dental Practitioners’ Interest in Primary Care Research, Their Views on Research and Their Training Needs by Nikolaus OA Palmer, Brian Grieveson (October 2005)
- Ethnic Classification in Primary Dental Care and Dental Health Services Research: Time to Pause for Thought by David J Buck, Shumalia Malik, Natalie Murphy, Vimal Patel, Seepaul Singh, Badrul Syed, Nikita Vora (April 2001)
Non-members who wish to read one of these papers, or other Primary Dental Journal articles, have the option to join the College from £94 for dentists and £33 for other dental professionals or subscribe to the PDJ.
Related events, news & blogs
CGDent is working with Haleon (formerly GSK), to explore the opportunities for enhancing oral healthcare advice through dental practices, and supporting those members of the team on the front line for advising patients and your communities. We are inviting interest from practices and teams around the UK that might be interested in hosting a focus group for an evening, early in 2024. It’s a great chance to spotlight the valuable…
General dental practitioners are being sought to support research towards the development of a clinical risk assessment tool, and the College would like to encourage…
Live webinar, Thursday 30 November 2023, 2pm Dental teams across the country face great challenges in providing accessible support for their patients and communities. The…