Standards in dentistry
The completely revised second edition of Standards in Dentistry is a comprehensive manual bringing together standards and guidelines for primary care dentistry.
Acting as a guide to personal or practice-based quality assessment, it is an indispensable compendium for the conscientious oral health professional, and sets out specific basic and aspirational standards covering:
- consultation and diagnosis
- making and receiving referrals
- paediatric dentistry
- management of acute pain
- direct (plastic), coronal and root surface restorations
- indirect coronal restorations (crowns, bridges, onlays, veneers)
- removable partial dentures
- complete dentures
- oral medicine
- minor oral surgery
- implant dentistry
- management of dental trauma
It also summarises almost 70 standards and guidelines publications by the College of General Dentistry and 30 other organisations relating to the above areas and to:
- emergency dental care
- examination and record-keeping
- infection prevention and control
- medical emergencies
- medications management
- oral health
- patient information
- practice management
- restorative dentistry
- risk management and communication
- special care dentistry
- staff training
Standards in Dentistry combines the functions of two publications previously published by FGDP(UK), Self-Assessment Manual and Standards (SAMS) and Guidelines for Structure and Process in Dental Practice, and the first edition was edited by Kenneth Eaton and published in 2006.
The second edition represents a complete revision and update by Professor David Moles and his colleagues at Plymouth University Peninsula School of Dentistry to reflect the contemporary clinical, organisational and dento-legal contexts in which dentistry is now practised, as well as changes in the evidence base over the intervening years.
It is available to view online free of charge, however you will need to log in or register an account. College members can also download the publication (strictly for personal use), and have access to search, text-select and print functionality. Membership is available from £94 per year for dentists, and from £33 for all other dental professionals.
CGDent members can view full articles via the links below by first visiting the PDJ Member Access page and clicking ‘Access the PDJ Archive’.
- The Updated Periodontal Classification: Answers to 10 Common Questions by Reena Wadia (February 2020)
- When Less is More: Minimally Invasive, Evidence-Based Treatments for Dentine Caries in Primary Teeth – The Hall Technique and Silver Diamine Fluoride by Waraf Al-Yaseen, Nassar Seifo, Shannu Bhatia, Nicola Innes (January 2022)
- Complications in Endodontics by Bhavin Bhuva (November 2020)
- An Evaluation of a Practice-Based Minor Oral Surgery Service by Thomas Anthony Dyer, Jessica Ga Lai Lau (October 2020)
- Obtaining Consent in Orthodontics: Difficulties and Considerations by Joe Tyson (December 2016)
Related events, news & blogs
Tuesday 21 February 2023, 6.30pm-8.30pm, Solihull The new CGDent Midlands study club for Early Career GDPs, aims to share expertise, experience and knowledge as well as…