The latest edition of the Primary Dental Journal, The general issue (vol.12, no.1), is now live online.
The general issue brings together a wide range of topics, hand-picked by Editor-in-Chief, Professor Igor Blum, including a spectrum of contemporary approaches, clinical techniques and philosophies relating to aspects of general dental practice and the primary dental care team. A list of the papers can be found below.
The issue also features the third of five domains from the College’s Career Pathways in Dentistry: Professional Framework, which describes the knowledge, skills and other attributes expected of primary care dental professionals at different career stages – from safe practitioner through to accomplished practitioner. The ‘Reflection’ domain published in this issue will be followed by ‘Development’ and ‘Agency’ domains in future issues of the Primary Dental Journal. The first two domains, ‘Clinical & Technical’ and ‘Professionalism’, were published in the Autumn and Winter 2022 issues, and every domain for all career stages can be viewed online, using the above link.
Full access to the majority of articles is reserved for College of General Dentistry members and Primary Dental Journal subscribers. For non-members / non-subscribers, individual print issues are available to purchase from £41. An annual print subscription, normally costing £125, is included with membership of the College. Membership is available from £100 for dentists and from £33 for all other registered dental professionals, and also includes online access to the PDJ Archive of over 1,300 articles, and a range of other benefits.
CGDent members and PDJ subscribers should expect their printed copies to arrive in the next 2–3 weeks.
On behalf of the College, the PDJ editorial team would like to express its gratitude to all the authors and peer reviewers who have contributed to the publication of this issue.
CGDent members can view full articles by logging in via the yellow button below, then clicking ‘Access the PDJ Archive’:
At least one paper in each issue is made available online free of charge on an Open Access basis. Non-members can view all other full articles using the purchase options presented when clicking the individual article links below, or can use the links above to purchase a complete issue or an annual subscription, or become a member.
PDJ Spring 2023 general dentistry issue contents
- Primary dental care: an update for general dental practice by Igor R. Blum, Editor-in-Chief
- President’s update by Abhi Pal, CGDent President
- Research abstracts: general dentistry by Ario Santini
- Book Review: An introduction to clinical research for health and social care professionals, reviewed by Ewen McColl
- Endodontic management strategies for permanent teeth with immature apices by Khawer Ayub, James Darcey
- Medical Device Regulations and custom-made device documentation: A further ten frequently asked questions and their answers by James I. J. Green
- Managing fibrous maxillary ridge: a case series of impression techniques by Ang Yee, Tew In Meei, Goo Chui Ling
- Aesthetic and functional rehabilitation of collapsed occlusal vertical dimension using an advanced digital workflow by Paul Zhivago, Ilser Turkyilmaz, Sarah Yun
- Doctors’ drugs and the dangers of dental decay by Martin G. Kelleher, Roshni Ruparelia, Igor R. Blum
- Dental drill noise reduction using a commercially-available earplug device by Pingfei Jiang, Mark Atherton, Brian J. Millar (Open access)
- Restoration longevity: Q: “How long will my crown last?” A: “78 years, Madame” – A case report by Yann Maidment
- Evaluation of marginal and internal fit of lithium disilicate and zirconia all-ceramic CAD-CAM crowns using digital impressions: a systematic review by Ilser Turkyilmaz, Merve Benli, Sarah Yun
- Evidence-based standard operating procedures for the prevention and management of sodium hypochlorite accidents in dentistry by Elizabeth A. Briggs, Rebecca Toner, Julie K. Kilgariff
- Preventing wrong tooth extraction in primary care oral surgery: LocSSIPs – key aspects of implementation for achieving and sustaining compliance by Harjit Kaur Tagar
The next issue of the journal will be on the topic of Aesthetic dentistry, and is due out in summer 2023.