The latest edition of the Primary Dental Journal, Digital Dentistry, is now live online.
Guest edited by Clinical Professor of Prosthodontics at NYU College of Dentistry USA, Ilser Turkyilmaz, the issue explores various techniques to offer even the most experienced dental professional the latest update on the evolution of technology and materials.
Professor Turkyilmaz clarifies, “Now, well into the age of digital dentistry, clinicians are constantly challenged to find the most modern, relevant material to provide the best quality of care to their patients and ease their labour-intensive workflows. The goal of this issue is to do exactly that, enrich the repertoire of current and new clinicians to help optimise patient care.”
The issue also features the second of five domains from the College’s Career Pathways in Dentistry: Professional Framework, which describes the knowledge, skills and other attributes expected of primary care dental professionals at different career stages – from safe practitioner through to accomplished practitioner. The ‘Professionalism’ domain published in this issue will be followed by ‘Reflection’, ‘Development’, and ‘Agency’ domains in future issues of the Primary Dental Journal. The first domain, ‘Clinical & Technical’, was published in the Autumn 2022 issue, and all domains for every career stage can be viewed online, using the above link.
In addition – and following his 2022 webinar with the College (the recording of which is available on-demand) – we explore Duty of Candour and how this relates to dentistry, with expert in the field, Kevin Lewis. Kevin explains the essentials of the legal, ethical, human, and sometimes contractual duty of candour, and the importance of organisational culture and involving the entire dental team in duty of candour, then focuses on notifiable safety incidents and takes us through the steps needed in dentistry.
Details of the College’s upcoming international conference, Excellence and the dental team (24–25 March 2023), in collaboration with Quintessence Publishing can also be found in this issue and online. Please check here for the up-to-date programme.
A single page cut-out-and-keep chairside synopsis of Antimicrobial Prescribing in Dentistry: Good Practice Guidelines is included, providing a handy, practical overview of treatment options for common conditions. The synopsis was developed by the Faculty of General Dental Practice (now College of General Dentistry) and the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
Full access to the majority of articles is reserved for College of General Dentistry members and Primary Dental Journal subscribers. For non-members / non-subscribers, individual print issues are available to purchase from £41. An annual print subscription, normally costing £125, is included with membership of the College. Membership is available from £100 for dentists and from £33 for all other registered dental professionals, and also includes online access to the PDJ Archive of over 1,300 articles, and a range of other benefits.
CGDent members and PDJ subscribers should expect their printed copies to arrive in the next 2–3 weeks.
On behalf of the College, the PDJ editorial team would like to express its gratitude to all the authors and peer reviewers who have contributed to the publication of this issue.
A full list of papers is below.
CGDent members can view full articles via the links below by first visiting the PDJ Member Access page and clicking ‘Access the PDJ Archive’.
PDJ Winter 2022 digital dentistry issue contents
- Digital dentistry: the new state of the art for general dental practice? by Igor R. Blum, Editor-in-Chief
- Digital dentistry by Ilser Turkyilmaz, Guest Editor
- President’s update by Abhi Pal, CGDent President
- Research abstracts: digital dentistry by Ario Santini
- Considerations for integrating digital intraoral scanners into general dental practice by Sarah Yun and Ilser Turkyilmaz
- Chairside versus external laboratory milling in fabricating CAD/CAM surgical and restorative products in dental practice by Ilser Turkyilmaz and Sarah Yun
- A comprehensive technique using digital workflow to improve an unpleasant smile: a clinical report by Paul Zhivago, Sarah Yun and Ilser Turkyilmaz
- Fabrication of immediately loaded implant-retained maxillary overdenture with flapless surgery using a CAD/CAM surgical guide: a technical report by Ilser Turkyilmaz and Joanna Nicolette Gavras
- CAD/CAM technology for fabrication of reduction guide for RPD parallel guiding planes preparation: a dental technique by Rodrigo Falcão Carvalho Porto de Freitas, Ana Larisse Carneiro Pereira, and Adriana da Fonte Porto Carreiro
- Clinical performance of lithium disilicate and zirconia CAD/CAM crowns using digital impressions: a systematic review by Merve Benli, Ilser Turkyilmaz, Jacqueline L. Martinez, and Shelby Schwartz
- Influence of surface treatment and ageing on the bond strength of resin cement to hybrid and glass-ceramic CAD/CAM materials by Juliana Pucci, Mayara Zaghi Dal Picolo, Laila Brasil, Marcelo Giannini, and Vanessa Cavalli
- Digital analysis of the dimensional change of an irreversible Hydrocolloid impression material (alginate) with varying storage times by Fatemah Ibrahem, Thomas Giugliano, Ryan Richard Ruff, Mijin Choi
- Digital dentistry: pandemics, problems, and panaceas by Patricia Neville
- The development of digital dentistry in the UK: an overview by Kenneth A. Eaton