Colleagues are reminded that Monday 28 August 2023 is the deadline for all dental professionals other than dentists to submit an annual CPD statement detailing professional development activity undertaken between and 1 August 2022 and 31 July 2023.
The GDC requires dental therapists, dental hygienists, orthodontic therapists and clinical dental technicians to complete a minimum of 75 hours of verifiable CPD every five years, and dental nurses and dental technicians a minimum of 50 hours.
All dental professionals need to complete at least 10 hours of verifiable CPD during any two-year period, and must submit an annual CPD statement whether or not they have undertaken any CPD in the preceding 12 months.
The next submission deadline for dentists is 28 January 2024, covering education undertaken during 2023.
The College offers members access to a wide range of CPD opportunities:
Free, on-demand access to a library of around 1000 hours of certified, GDC-compliant CPD. To access the content, log in to www.prodentalcpd.com using the details sent to you following your transfer/entry into College membership.
Live, College-hosted webinars covering a wide range of subjects are available free to members every month, powered by ProDental. Webinars this year have included:
- Dental care for patients with diabetes
- Domiciliary denture provision: a clinical dental technician’s approach (part 1)
- Domiciliary denture provision: a clinical dental technician’s approach (part 2)
- Transitioning from analogue to digital dentistry
- Creating a positive patient safety culture in dentistry
- Supporting staff through menopause
- Healthy Ramadan & dentistry
- Artificial intelligence in cariology
- Complaints handling: a step-by-step approach
- Volunteering in dentistry: how to get involved
- Introduction to remimazolam in procedural sedation in dentistry
- Mentoring in implant dentistry
- Introduction to orthodontics: assessment, diagnosis and case selection
- Introduction to orthodontics: principles of treatment planning
- Introduction to orthodontics: appliances, retention & training
Members also have free access to all of ProDental’s regular live webinars.
And if you miss a live webinar, you’ll find it in the online library within around 24 hours.
Details of all past and upcoming webinars can be found here
Members receive heavily discounted attendance fees for the College’s study days and events as well as some events organised by third parties. The following are currently scheduled:
- Remimazolam CPD training day, Wednesday 5 July 2023, Manchester (third party event)
- Bruxism diagnosis management, Friday 29 September 2023, London (third party event)
- Dentistry Show London, Friday-Saturday 6-7 October 2023, London (College CPD lectures)
- CGDent Scotland Study Day: the how, what, wear and why of managing tooth wear in general dental practice, Friday 1 December 2023
Details of all recent and upcoming study days and events can be found here
Stay up-to-date with news about our webinars, study days and member discounts by ensuring you are signed up to the College’s monthly newsletter here
Third party resources
The College also recommends the following online resources developed by third parties, each of which offers free CPD:
- Antimicrobial stewardship e-learning modules (3 hours’ CPD)
- Alcohol (Identification and Brief Advice) for dental teams (1 hour’s CPD)